Friday, April 15, 2011

It’s Potty Time

Just for the record, I am a firm believer that kids will let you know when they are ready to use the potty, rather than you letting them know when you are ready for them to use the potty.  Also, I am not a big fan of pull-ups during the day.  I think that kids need to “feel” the wet and that pull ups are simply fancy, expensive diapers with the neat little thing on the front that disappears when wet, which in the eyes of a toddler, is pretty cool.

With my oldest he was just about 3 and with another baby on the way I decided that I did not want to have two kids in diapers at the same time.  Not believing the whole “boys are harder to potty train than girls” or “wait he will regress once you have the baby.”  I thought in all my years of wisdom that I could do this.  Of course with some help from the guys I worked with they taught him how to pee on a tree.  This worked great until it got so cold in Northern Virginia that it froze.  Needless to say by forcing this on him I think is the reason that it took me YEARS to get him to master the art of the potty. 

With my oldest girl, I decided that I wasn’t going to push the potty in fear that it would once again backfire on me.  She was just about 3 and the daycare told me if she was potty trained my rates would go down.  So we went home that weekend, I asked once, “Do you want to use the potty”, she replied “sure” and that was the end of it.  She has not had an accident since.

So now we are onto my wonderful 2 year old.  I bought her the coolest training potty that sings songs whenever weight hits the bowl.  For the past 9 mths she has gone in sat on it, then gotten up and pushed it so it would sing to her.  Well in the past 2 days, she has decided that she is going to wear big girl underwear.  She woke up this morning, took off her jammies & diaper, handed me the diaper to throw away and proceeded to put on underwear.  This was an hour ago and we are now on pair 3 of big girl underwear.  I will have to give her credit though, she pees, cleans it up then goes and gets new underwear then sits on the potty.

My goal for the next 3 days while I have her home with me is to POTTY TRAIN.  My goal for the day is to get her to understand that we have to sit on the potty before we pee, not after.

Saige Day 1 PT

Saige Day 1 of Potty Training in her Big Girl Underwear

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on the whole potty training thing. With my oldest it was easy, with Courtney, well not so much. She was almost 4 when she finally decided to do it. The pull-ups don't work, or at least they didnt for me. Good times, there raising kids, huh. Well keep us posted on your progress. Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are doing OK. We left for 2 hours and no accidents, within 5 minutes of being home she peed her pants. But it was in the driveway which I think is better than on my floors :)

    ReplyDelete